Have you been thinking of bringing your business online? If you have not, now is the best time to consider it. Do you want to know why? Discover the amazing possibilities waiting for you by checking out these whopping figures.
- Accordingly, its global income will reach 614 billion pounds (or 963 billion dollars) by 2013.
- Consumers who shop around on the Internet and through their mobile phones are 18-36% more likely to spend than those individuals who do not.
- Around 59% of customers in the U.S. consider online buying as their “overall favourite”; while 68% think of it as “most convenient” and “easiest”.
- Approximately 66% of UK Web shoppers state that low-quality in-store service is their main reason for preferring e-stores. On the other hand, another 23% expect 24-hour availability from customer service teams.
Apart from these huge numbers, find out the wonderful advantages of setting up shop online.
The Rewards of Ecommerce
- You can cater to your customers’ needs or answer their enquiries no matter the time of day. This is very important given that plenty of consumers want assistance 24/7.
- You can easily promote your offers to your target audience whether local or global. Well, we do not call it the World Wide Web for nothing.
- You can sell your goods or services even if you do not have a commercial establishment.
- You can conduct business without requiring a huge capital and manpower.
- You can make your enterprise visible to several buyers who access the Internet through their mobile phones.
With these insights, surely you do not need more convincing. Then again, you have to know that you cannot reap these benefits without applying the right strategies.
If you wish to have an edge against other online businesses, the key is to optimise your website. You can do this by using the following ideas.
Search Engine Optimisation Tips
1. Improve your website’s page load time
What do you think will happen if a potential buyer has to wait for several seconds before your product page loads?
The most probable answer is that he or she will look for another site.
In this case, you must find out how long it takes your webpage to load completely. If it takes more than 5 seconds, use Google Page Speed Insights to help you determine the following:
- Which elements are making your website’s loading speed sluggish
- How to lessen the loading time
2. Place unique content
What must your e-store contain?
Well, having product descriptions is vital because it lets possible customers discover basic details about your offers.
Other than these, you can provide relevant and informative articles. If, for instance, you are selling fashion apparel, you can write about the latest trends. Alternatively, you can talk about staying in shape if you are promoting weight loss pills.
You can also create a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page, which answers the enquiries you usually receive from the consumers. This is a wonderful example of user-generated content.
3. Add videos and images
Why do you need these elements?
In general, they make your website visually appealing. But most importantly, they give your target users a look at your products or services. Additionally, you can demonstrate (through videos) functions or uses, especially if you are selling equipment.
As you are adding these, do not forget to optimise them using these tips.
- Create file names containing the main keyword
- Place descriptive tags
- Lessen image file sizes and write video captions
Finally, avoid using or copying other retailers or manufacturers’ work. Through your creativity and originality, you can earn the customers and other business owners’ trust.
4. Put bread crumbs
What are these?
They are a series of anchor texts positioned horizontally at the left (typically) of a webpage. They serve as links to every previous page a certain user has viewed. Similar to the breadcrumb trail in the Grimm’s fairy tale “Hansel and Gretel”, these hyperlinks help with easy navigation throughout your website.
5. Create internal links
What are these?
Like the breadcrumbs, they also lead to your site’s inner pages.
Now, there are three main types of internal links.
- Sitemap – shows the spiders and the users’ your website’s available pages
- Hyperlinks – come in the form of text links
The following is a sample sentence with a hyperlink to an inner page on this blog site:
– Selecting link building services is not that difficult when you know what to do.
In your case, an ideal link would be one that directs potential customers to a FAQ or product review page.
6. Submit a sitemap
How do you do this?
We have already learned a bit about it from number five. Now, we are going to find out how you can create and submit one.
You can make a sitemap using a feature from Google Webmaster Tools. The good thing about this method is that you can send the formatted file directly to Google. Apart from it, you can use other generator tools.
7. Make meta and title tags
What do the users usually see whenever they shop around for products in search engines?
They typically get this.
The SERPs provide plenty of information (sometimes with images and videos), which match queries. This way, the customers will know what the link offers.
With that said, you must always remember these tips whenever you come up with these two elements.
- Title – the first few words must contain the main keyword; must have at least 65 characters or less; must be descriptive of the entire content
- Meta description – must also contain the main keyword and at least one secondary key phrase; must have at least 150 characters or less to prevent the algorithms from cutting off the entire description; must serve as a summary of the content
8. Create canonical links
What are these?
You can come up with such links using canonicalization, which keeps other website owners from duplicating your content. Through this strategy, you have assurance that any information you present is original and unique.
9. Come up with descriptive URLs
Why do you need these?
Before anything else, let us have a look at these two links.
Which of these two gives you an idea what the page tackles? If you think it is the former, you are correct. That is the main purpose of generating descriptive URLs – you are telling the users what exactly your content presents.
Whenever they see a straightforward and self-explanatory link in search results, there is a higher likely that they will click on it.
10. Measure your ecommerce site’s performance
How do you this?
One ideal means of determining the efficiency and effectiveness of your search engine marketing campaign is to create a Google account, so you can access its webmaster and analytics tools. Through these, you will not have a hard time keeping track of any online transactions. Most importantly, you can analyse and improve your business methods.
These SEO strategies may seem long, but they are not exhaustive of all the steps you need to take to make your enterprise successful. You can find more optimisation ideas, as well as ecommerce techniques with careful research. Of course, you can deepen your knowledge and expertise as you go along.